Don’t let the title of this post mislead you, this is a Moussaka inspired dish. It is not a proper moussaka, at all, firstly instead of meat I’m using black eyed beans, I’ve also swapped out the traditional sauce for something a little fresher and there are lots of other details that make my recipe not an actual moussaka.
Perhaps more accurately we could call it a ‘nod to a moussaka’ because of the aubergine.
Anyway, regardless of the name, it’s really tasty. And it did start out as me looking for a way to veggify a traditional lamb moussaka dish. So I’ve decided to go with it.
You’ll need to start out the night before by soaking your black eyed beans/peas, I prepare one part beans to five parts water and then leave them in the fridge to do their thing while I sleep.
In the morning, drain the beans and put them in a saucepan with five times as much water, bring them to the boil for 10 minutes, then turn down the heat to medium and let them simmer for 30 minutes.
Once they are done, drain and rinse the beans – then pop them in the fridge until you are ready to use them.
You’ll want to give yourself a good 30 minutes to prep this dish, the aubergine can take a while to slice and grill. Start by pre-heating your oven to 200c. Cut the aubergine into 1cm slices, brush one side with olive oil and then pop them under the grill, it should take 4 minutes on each side, but keep cooking until they are golden brown and tender.
Chop your onion and mushrooms – red or white onions will work well. Add the onion to a pan with a splash of olive oil, cook them to two minutes, then add your mushrooms and let them cook for five more minutes.
Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, garlic and seasoning in to the pan and give it a good stir. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes, then add the black eyed beans and let it bubble gently for another three minutes.
The mixture is now ready to go into the baking dish and be topped with the grilled aubergine. Mix together the egg and yoghurt, add salt and pepper and pour it over the aubergine. Chop your tomatoes and arrange them on top of the dish along with a good handful of grated cheese and bake it in the oven for 30 minutes.
And then you’re good to go. I served mine with salad and it was bloody lovely!
- 410g black eyed beans, cooked
- 1 aubergine, cut into 1cm slices
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 175g chestnut mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 300g greek yoghurt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 50g mozzarella or cheddar cheese, grated
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to a medium heat, brush the aubergine slices with olive oil and grill for 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and tender
- Preheat the oven to 200c
- Cook the chopped onion in olive oil for two minutes, add the mushrooms and cook for 3 more minutes
- Stir in the garlic, tinned tomatoes, salt and black pepper
- Simmer for 3 minutes, add the black eyed beans and cook for three more minutes
- Add the mixture to a baking dish and top with the aubergine
- Mix together the egg and yoghurt, season with salt and black pepper and pour over the aubergine
- Arrange the tomato slices over the top, sprinkle with grated cheese
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes