Remember those Courgettes that I didn’t get to do anything with?
Turns out they were exactly what I needed for a summer bake dish that I was putting together. Using the same egg and yoghurt topping that I perfected with my Moussaka tribute dish, this bake is bloody yummy eaten hot, but tastes even better served up cold the next day, when the flavours have had time to mingle together. I just love a dish that’s better on day two.
Depending on how quickly you chop veggies, you’ll have this done in about an hour.
To bring out the flavours, it’s best to sweat the courgette and onion, rather than fry them. If you’ve not done it before, it’s really easy, put the olive oil into a large pan and once it is warm (rather than sizzling) add the chopped veg and garlic and leave it on a low/medium heat until the onions are translucent and the courgette is soft (around 5 minutes). A good rule of thumb I use, is that if I can hear the pan sizzling over the noise of my extractor fan, then the temperature is set too high.
Once the courgettes and onions are soft add the mushrooms, parsley and your preferred seasonings – I chose salt, pepper and paprika, but go with whatever you prefer.
Pop the veg into a greased baking dish and mix in the chopped feta cheese. Bake it at 200c for 20 minutes. While that’s baking mix up the yoghurt and eggs with some black pepper.
After 20 minutes, pour the yoghurt topping over the dish and bake for 10 more minutes. Once it is slightly golden on top, you’re good to go.
Parmesan is entirely optional, but does add an extra, very tasty dimension to the dish. I”m not going to tell you how much to use, let’s face it, parmesan is a very personal business, but I grated it all over the top and I don’t regret a thing.
This will serve four with a tasty side salad – tomatoes work perfectly and some bread.
The soft, sweet veg with the saltiness of the feta – this one is a real winner.
- 2 Courgettes, diced
- 250g Mushrooms (Chestnut works well), diced
- 1 Large Red Onion, diced
- 200g Feta Cheese, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Cup Natural Yoghurt
- 2 Eggs
- Handful Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Seasoning - Salt, Pepper and Paprika
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200c
- Sweat garlic, courgette and onion in a large pan with the olive oil (5 minutes ish)
- Add mushrooms, parsley and seasonings (salt, pepper and paprika) and cook for 5 more minutes
- Add the vegetable mix to a greased baking dish
- Mix in the feta cheese
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes
- Mix together the yoghurt and eggs with black pepper
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and pour the yoghurt mixture over the top
- Pop back in the oven and bake for 10 more minutes - until slightly golden
- Grate parmesan over the top and serve (optional)