It isn’t often that a recipe stops me in my tracks. But that is exactly what happened when I was looking through The Vegetarian’s Complete Quinoa Cookbook by Mairlyn Smith.
An Egg, Lemon and Rocket Soup; I’d not seen anything like it before and was really wanted to test it out to see if it was tastier than it sounded… spoiler alert – it was absolutely delicious.
It was really simple to put together and I was very sceptical when the time came to try it – but the mixture of flavours absolutely blew me away. It is full of flavour, the creaminess of the egg, with the punch of the rocket and then that lemon juice balancing everything out. It was so light and refreshing.
I think it might be even more summery than a gazpacho.
This isn’t going to be a long post, because this soup is so very easy to make 🙂
Pop your vegetable stock into a large saucepan, add minced garlic and paprika (the recipe does call for chilli flakes, but I’m really not a fan, so thought half a teaspoon of paprika would be fine – and it was), bring to the boil over a medium-high heat. Add the quinoa, reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
While that is cooking, I added the juice of one lemon to a bowl and whisked in two eggs. Add four tablespoons of grated parmesan and give it a good mix. Now is the time to chop up two cups of rocket, you’ll need them in a bit.
Once your quinoa has cooked, add the lemon, egg and parmesan mixture to the saucepan slowly – whisking the entire time. Keep stirring gently for a couple of minutes, then add the rocket. Stir for one more minute, then remove the soup from the heat and add black pepper.
Serve hot, garnished with spring onion and extra parmesan and/or black pepper to taste.
I absolutely adored this and am certain there will be a constant supply in my fridge!
There are a lot of really interesting recipes in this book. I would definitely recommend it for fellow veggies or if you are looking for healthier dishes that are full of nutrients and flavour.
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- ⅓ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups well-packed rocket, chiffonade
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Finely chopped spring onions for garnish
- In a large soup pot or flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat, combine the vegetable stock, garlic and dried chilli flakes. Bring to a boil and add the quinoa. Reduce heat to medium-low; partially cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs with the lemon juice and Parmesan cheese until fluffy. Whisking constantly; gradually stir the egg mixture into the hot stock mixture.
- Stir in the rocket and remove from heat. Season with pepper to taste.
- To Serve: Ladle the soup into deep bowls and sprinkle with spring onions or parsley. Store in the fridge for up to three days.